The student initiatives with the most powerful and provocative solutions will be given financial awards to help fund the implementation of their project within the community. A total of $15,000 will be awarded to the concept or concepts that have the demonstrated ability to ignite change within their local community based on the following broad parameters:
- Addresses a pressing social need within a community
- Can be implemented within that community
- Delivers positive results that can be measured
Awards will be given to fund the material costs of executing the project. Design Ignites Change believes that designers should be compensated for their time when executing socially minded projects. As such, up to 10% of your total requested award amount may be earmarked as an honorarium to cover your time. Monies will be disbursed in one of two ways:
- Paid directly to the vendors contracted to execute the project
- Paid to the school or organization who will oversee the execution of the project
Worldstudio will determine the best way to distribute the award money on a case-by-case basis.
The application deadline is December 31, 2009. A complete case study must also be posted on the Design Ignites Change website by December 31, 2009.
The following groups enrolled in Design Ignites Change are eligible to submit projects developed in 2009 for an award:
- Colleges/universities engaged in projects that use design thinking to address social issues
- Colleges/universities engaged in a youth mentoring program around social issues
- Creative professionals engaged in a youth mentoring program around social issues
Participants in the basic Create! Don’t Hate. billboard mentoring program are not eligible, but any unique extensions – in addition to the billboards – of the Create! Don’t Hate. program, developed by the mentoring organization and the mentees can be submitted.