The CAE Design Awards is an Internet-based marketplace of ideas. Through this forum the committee will disseminate quality ideas on educational facility planning and design to clients, architects, and the public. As we rethink and reshape what we do as architects, we must evaluate and measure our successes, and have an arena in which to test ideas. This awards program is an opportunity to engage in critical evaluation and experimentation, not as an end in itself, but always in the context of our clients and their needs.
The CAE Design Awards seek to identify, honor, and disseminate the projects and ideas that exhibit innovation and excellence through:
- The enhancement of the client’s educational program through the thoughtful planning and design of facilities
- The integration of function and aesthetics in designs that also respect the surrounding community and context
- A planning/design process that is educational, collaborative, and builds the capacity of the school and its community to support its students
This program has two primary areas of focus: the project area and the forum of ideas.
1. The project area will focus on how individual projects further the client’s mission, goals, and educational program. In this area, the entire story will be told with respect to how each submitted project is conceived, planned, designed, built, inhabited, and evaluated.
This area will portray quality within both the process and the product. The best processes exhibit authentic collaboration between the design team, the client, and the community as they work together to fulfill the client’s goals. These are projects that show exemplary care in serving the client and ensuring a quality built environment, both functionally and aesthetically.
2. The forum of ideas will be a place for experimentation, a planting bed for thoughts to nurture and grow. The process of conceiving, planning, designing, and building is a path of discovery, and the forum of ideas will be sufficiently flexible to respond to the imagination of the participants. This area will not necessarily showcase entire projects, but rather select elements from projects.
Entries must be submitted before 4:59 p.m. Eastern Time on March 1, 2010.
The submission deadline date will be strictly observed; no exceptions will be made. No entry fee will be refunded for entries that are disqualified, late, or not completed. Payments and submissions will only be accepted online.
Please review the 2010 AIA Educational Facility Design Awards Walk Through and the Concealed ID Forms before beginning your submission.