Submission Deadline: June 30th, 2010
Prize: $300 USD
Eligibility: Lebanese artist between 18 and 35 years
The Food Blog (www.thefoodblog.com.au) is one of the leading Lebanese food blogs in the online community. Since 2007 and through The Food Blog, Fouad Kassab has been sharing his thoughts, ideas and memories relating to food along with recipes that he enjoys cooking. The Food Blog has a global audience and is visited yearly by hundreds of thousands of visitors from all over the world. The Food Blog is running a competition to encourage and engage Lebanese digital artists to design its new look, one that would encapsulate the spirit of Lebanese food, heritage and generous hospitality and simultaneously represent the feelings and memories that we associate with our food culture.
Brief. The work must:
- Exhibit a fresh, vibrant design that is suited to represent a food blog
- Have a restrained, focused approach so that the end result is clean yet visually beautiful, without taking away from the content and the food photography
- Posses a Lebanese identity, without going too strong on the metaphors. We are not after a red, white and green design, and are not interested in somehow incorporating a cedar tree.
- Show innovation in design and have the ability to effortlessly encapsulate memories: the Lebanese village, akkidinya (loquat) trees, picking olives, arak, hard working farmers, cool mountain breeze, sunny days on the beach, saj manakish, knefe at 4 am, grape vines, mezze, the house of teta w jiddo, fruit and vegetable trucks waking you up in the morning with their loudspeaker, the smell of kishk from mom’s kitchen on a Saturday morning. You get the drift? Don’t be overly literal or too abstract or hang on to these specific descriptions. The words here are only used to evoke a feeling. Try to capture that feeling you have about Lebanon and its food culture and attempt to represent it visually in a way that makes sense to the viewers
- Be inline with the tone of the blog, so have a read of the entries, especially those discussing Lebanese food
- Is workable as a WordPress template with a large text area, and a smaller right or left hand section, similar to the current layout
- Be the genuine work of the artist and not a copy of intellectual property
- Be submitted as a JPEG and if chosen as the winning work, needs to be provided as a fully functional WordPress template in order to receive the monetary prize
Prize – Apart from garnering the attention of the large audience reached through The Food Blog, the winner gets a $300 USD cash prize. This nominal prize is aimed simply as a thank you, rather than a fee for service.
Applications – Applications to enter the competition need to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 31st of May 2010. This will ensure the applicant’s current website and work can be exhibited in an early showcase blog entry to highlight the Lebanese designers. To be eligible, you need to be a Lebanese artist between 18 and 35.
Submissions – The deadline for the final design submissions is the 30th of June 2010. The design need only be submitted in the form of a JPEG. Final WordPress template is required from the winner in order for the design to be incorporated into The Food Blog. The prize will be handed to the winner at that stage.
Judging – The Food Blog will choose the winner based simply on preference.
Results – The winner will be announced on the 31st of July 2010. Honorable mentions will be given to 2nd and 3rd place.