Open Call for Participants
The Architecture Foundation, Ordem dos Arquitectos and British Council are developing an exchange programme between the UK and Portugal for 2010-2011. This follows on from successful Architecture Foundation exchange projects in the United States, Italy, and Turkey (with current exchanges underway with Poland and Norway). The aim of this partnership is to identify, exchange and promote the best new architects from countries around the world through developing networks, dialogue and cultural exchange that allow for the sharing of information, ideas and new thinking.
We will identify three exciting emerging architects in both the UK and Portugal, who will act as ambassadors for the architectural scenes in their respective countries, taking part in reciprocal programmes to each country with a schedule of coordinated activities including public lectures, studio visits and site tours. The UK architects will visit Lisbon in October 2010 for a programme created by Ordem dos Arquitectos which will coincide with the Lisbon Architecture Triennale (approx 3 days around 21-24 October) – www.trienaldelisboa.com/en . In the UK the reciprocal programme will be organised for the Portuguese Architects who will visit London in late November/early December 2010. Selection will be made by senior Architecture Foundation and Ordem dos Arquitectos staff alongside expert advisors, drawn from a wide cross section of the architectural community, including the British Council.
Who is eligible to take part?
All practices must have been founded after January 2000, be professionally certified, and cannot have featured in Architecture Foundation public programme in the past two years.
The New Architects: Portugal_UK exchange will take its cue from the theme of this year’s Lisbon Architecture Triennale: ‘Let’s Talk About Houses’, and as such, it is expected that the architects selected for this particular exchange will have demonstrable interest and experience in working with the design of and/or research about houses, whether private or public, single or multiple unit.
How to submit?
- If you are a UK-based practice interested in taking part in this international programme, please submit the following material in English, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 24.00 (midnight) on 19 September 2010. In advance of submission, questions may also be directed to that address, but must be sent by 12.00 (midday) Thursday 16 September in order to receive a reply.
- All material must be submitted digitally.
- Questions can only be answered via email—please do not call.
- Portugese practices must submit to the Ordem dos Arquitectos directly – please see www.arquitectos.pt
Required material for submission
- A PDF practice profile (up to 750 words) including the age of the practice, names of all principals, and relevant professional qualifications.
- A PDF portfolio (no more than 10 A3 pages) of text and images, that presents five projects (may include installations and exhibitions) by your practice.
- Responses to the following questions (c. 750 words in total):
a) What are the main influences and inspirations for your practice?
b) What are the most important issues currently facing the UK that architects should be addressing?
c) Which architects from Portugal do you find most interesting?
d) What would you hope to gain from an exchange programme with architects in Portugal?
e) How does the work of your practice respond to the Lisbon Architecture Triennale theme ‘Let’s Talk About Houses’?www.trienaldelisboa.com/en